R: Rewarding reviewers

The real value of scientific journals today is the peer-review
processing. Indeed, the development of the electronic archives
has diminished the importance of the scientific journals as
conveyors of information, as they are no longer the main sources
of scientific information. Keeping in mind these facts, SISSA
started several years ago JHEP, the Journal of High Energy
Physics, which is now among the journals with the highest impact
factor in his field. We believe that the main reason for this
success of our journal is the high quality of the peer-review
process.

Given that peer review is the most valuable asset of journals, in
the spirit that scientific work should be remunerated, we have
decided to allocate funds for this purpose and to pay a token fee
for every referee report beginning in 2008. We strongly feel that
this new practice in the policy of scientific journals is the
right step on the way to further improve the quality of our peer
review process.

Enrico M. Balli
Sissa Medialab
Via L. Stock 2/2, 34135 Trieste