Re: Flashback to 1971: formalizing informal communication channels

Dear Phil,

There are many important aspects of informal communication that
have changed since 1970, but almost none of them are directly
connected with open access; as Mark says, open access affects
only the formal communication system, the part after publication
of the results. The only exception is if you choose to regard the
distribution of reprints as part of the informal system, rather
than as a supplementary pat of the formal.

The part of reprint distribution that affected scientists in
major institutions occurred during the 1960s, not the 1970s: the
development of high quality copiers. In mid 1960s those of us who
wanted high quality copies of journal articles, especially those
with half-tone illustrations, needed to obtain by requesting
reprints--or by being within the circle of associates to whom
reprints were sent as a matter of course; by the 1970s, one could
make them directly--and usually did, to avoid the delay and
inconvenience.

Outside the circle of institutions that held subscriptions, and
in areas such as the Soviet Union where copiers were unavailable,
one was dependent on such reprints, often making use of the
system developed by the Institute of Scientific Information to
know about them and request them. This was at the expense and
courtesy of the author, and the cost of this in real terms could
approach what is now asked in publication cost for open-access
journals. Only well funded laboratories could distribute copies
to large numbers of requestors-- but only major laboratories were
likely to publish papers generating large numbers of requests.

This is the one area where open access has made and will be
making a difference--thee will no longer be the necessity of
doing this for anyone in any institution. But this applies, of
course, only to the informal distribution of formally published
information.

we usually think of the information communication system as
affecting pre-publication information, and the informal
discussion of material after publication. this has certainly been
revolutionized since the 1970s, but it is by the internet, not
open access. A small pat of this does rely on the structure of
open access, where publishers or repositories choose to let the
same structures that serve for the distribution of post
publication formal copies serve also pre-publication for the
preliminary versions. So in this sense there is a minor
effect--one need not use a different method--if one distributes
accepted manuscripts through arXiv after publication to provide
open access, the same channel and deposit will serve for the
communication of them as preprints. So in that sense it can be
thought of as encouraging their distribution pre-publication and
increases the use of the informal channel.

But this effect is small, since most scientists in fields served
by repositories made use of these pre-publication quite
regardless of open access. It is the informal channel that thus
facilitates the open access. that is the direction of the
influence: the existence of repositories made practical the rapid
development of their use for "green" open access--it has not been
necessary to develop a new infrastructure from scratch. The
effect is the other way round. The informal channels that have
developed are what makes practical the immediate rapid expansion
of open access.

David Goodman, Ph.D., M.L.S.
previously:
Bibliographer and Research Librarian