Re: Flashback to 1971: formalizing informal communication channels

I hardly see how requiring the deposit of manuscripts into PubMed
Central or an institutional repository *AFTER* the formal
refereeing and publication acceptance process is in any way
"formalizIng the informal." Nobody is mandating that scientists
deposit their preliminary results. These post-acceptance deposits
in no way affect the traditional informal communication channels
that scientists use.

Anyway, has arXiv.org "dismantled the institution of science as
we know it today?" "Today," of course being 1971 -- the embryo
years of the internet, pre-web, mainframe computers, and three
television networks. Communication has changed just a bit in the
last 37 years, and applying old pre-internet communication
research to today may not be very useful.

Mark Funk
Head, Resource Management - Collections
Weill Cornell Medical Library
New York, NY 10065-4805