RE: Flashback to 1971: formalizing informal communication channels

I use the Garvey and Griffith model to organize some of my
thoughts about scholarly communication (and about information
retrieval in the sciences while functioning as a librarian); but
their model, just like any other model, makes some important
simplifications and doesn't fully cover all areas of scholarly
communication in the sciences.  For example, in CS, conferences
are frequently more important than journal articles and are the
final product.

There has been a lot of research looking at the impacts of ICTs
on informal scholarly communication, including whether or how
making informal communications accessible - even codifying them
to an extent - impacts science.  As an example, many hopeful
articles in the early '90s proposed that this would end
peripherality and enable researchers in colleges, in less
developed countries, etc., to participate on an equal footing.
Not so (of course).  This was a question asked of the science
bloggers at the session I moderated at ASIST: whether or how
blogging could enable remote participation in the invisible
college.

(BTW - G & G led a team at JHU looking at this issue... They are
just the famous ones on the team...)  The UNISIST model is also
useful, as is its update by Sondergaard, Andersen & Hjorland
(2003)

In any case, based on my reading and study of informal scholarly
communication (most likely to become the area for my
dissertation), I do not see mandating deposition of manuscripts
as formalizing the informal. In the scholarly communication
process, by the time it gets to journal article manuscript stage,
it has already come a long way from the data and has been
popularized to an extent for a larger audience.  Yes, it was an
advantage of membership in the invisible college to get mailed or
otherwise notified of pre-prints in your area, but I think that
will still happen prior to depositing the manuscripts.

Ah, my brain is goo from working straight through the weekend - I
hope this makes sense.

Christina K. Pikas, MLS

(but no doubt answering this e-mail as University of Maryland
iSchool doctoral student, *not* professional librarian
representing the place of work indicated in my e-mail address :)

Sondergaard, T. F., Andersen, J., & Hjorland, B. (2003).
Documents and the communication of scientific and scholarly
information - revising and updating the UNISIST model. Journal of
Documentation, 59(3), 278-320.