Re: Gutenberg-e

I asked Columbia's director if he would like to respond, and he
has, as follows:

Dear Ann Okerson:

My post was meant to question the characterization in the
original Chronicle article that the Press had "radically
restructured" Gutenberg-e to take it open access.  The
implication, at least to me, was that we had abandoned the
subscription model rather than moving the project to the more
successful subscription-based Humanities eBook database.  I did
not want to leave the impression that we felt open access would
in the long run better serve the authors' ambitions for having
their work read, used, and reviewed. The best we can say is that
we do not know.

Some time ago we recognized that the subscription site for
Gutenberg-e was simply not drawing the traffic we expected and
needed for the project to be sustained.  So with the success of
the ACLS project, it made much more sense to combine these
projects with theirs.  The Gutenberg-e authors are better served
by having their work discoverable in that much larger and more
widely used database, and linked to the deep resources available
there.  Both sites will eventually contain the complete works and
we will continue to promote the availability of these projects in
both places through advertising, press releases, and outreach to
journal editors.

I am certain the Columbia Library is committed to maintaining the
Open Access site but I defer to my colleague Kate Wittenberg on
questions relating to that site and its functionality.

Jim Jordan  3/6/08