Re: ejournals and ILL

Joseph Esposito wrote:

>For this reason, ILL for digital products will eventually
>disappear, replaced by open access, restricted access (no ILL
>rights), or consortial access.  ILL, in other words, is an
>artifact of the print era and has no place in digital
publishing.

I would add: (... or consortial access), pay-per-view or licensed
document delivery.

The article economy is taking over. Depending on ILL regulations,
agreements with rights holders organisations like CCC (in US) or
VG Wort (in Germany), and individual license agreements for
document delivery of publishers with library consortia within a
framework agreement (like that of STM with SUBITO in Germany),
there is a whole continuum today from classic ILL to classic
pay-per-view, where different segments of the market (of
differing ability and willingness to pay) are served in a
multitude of ways. Important parameters are the speed of
delivery, the utility of the copy in the digital world (cut and
paste, reference linking) and connected with that, the hassles of
DRM (which, as implemented now in most cases, is a real nuisance,
and will be a major driver towards open access). In a sense, open
access is the universal customer.

Bernd-Christoph
Universitatsbibliothek
Universitat Stuttgart