Re: Homer Simpson at the NIH (renaissance?)

Certainly, Joe is replying in good faith, but my point is that he is
missing something.

I was not trying to suggest that the music industries challenges
are the same as those faced by the publishing industry. Of course
not. The point is that there are some similarities, and the
similarities and the differences are instructive. I would partly
agree with Joe that it would have been good for both industries
if they had established effective R&D programs -- but I would NOT
put it this way. If they had had R&D programs, in the strict
sense, they would have hoped to be effective in the way that
Intel's or Microsoft's R&D programs were effective (ie not really
much use at all in these circumstances -- though maybe coming up
with innovations that we all aplaud. And the STM publishers did,
after all, come up with CrossRef -- well done).

Much more important than deploying an R&D budget is having an
open-ness to innovative business models and the underlying goals
of the whole process. To do this you need to be prepared to throw
away the rule back -- and try a completely different apprroach.
This is why I, like Joe Esposito, admire the efforts of BMC (or
Hindawi). There you have traditional STM publishers trying to see
how the OA wave can work to the benefit of science publishing,
and of course to the benefit of scientific research.

Getting back to the challenge and the threat. Traditional
publishers do sense that their traditional copyright position is
under enormous threat. The threat is coming not from Napster, but
from Google (Google Book Search IS perceived as a big threat by
publishers) and from scientists and researchers who will continue
to find innovative and unorthodox ways of publicising and
publishing their research. A very great deal of scientific
publishing is now done by organisations and publishers that the
traditional STM publishers do not recognise as publishers (NLM,
EMBL, ArXiv etc), but they are serving science with a publishing
function and on the whole responding to the technological
opportunities with more flexibility than traditional publishers.

I enjoyed re-reading Joe Esposito's First Monday piece
http://www.firstmonday.org/issues/issue9_8/esposito/ And the
analogies he there draws between the challenges facing the
telephone companies and traditional media are important, at least
as relevant as the music industry comparisons. And they can be
developed further. The Skype-like challenge, may well become a
tough nut for tradtional STM publshers. When peer-to-peer systems
work well for scientific researchers and their publication needs,
the traditonal paper publication system will be side-lined. Some
disruptive technological developments of that kind could well
impact journal publishing in the next few years.

Adam