RE: Homer Simpson at the NIH (renaissance?)

The idea that the publishing is a no-growth market is based on
the now faulty perception that the Oldenbourg model of conjoining
peer review with dissemination in a final archival publication
may be transposed to the internet era. True enough, this kind of
publishing is a no-growth market. I would go even further and say
that in the medium term it has no future at all. My argument
would be that digital technology and economics strongly favour
the severance of certification from dissemination. In that
scenario, the functions of registration, dissemination and
archiving will lie with (digital) libraries-cum-repositories,
wheras certification and new kinds of value-adding navigation
services will be a growth market.

I therefore suggest that we will witness the renaissance of
society publishers and the return of the library for scientific
and scholarly publishing. In this segment I would be more afraid
for the big commercial publishers that, because of their size and
inflexibility, might find themselves in a big squeeze quite soon.

For more details on this argument, please consult

Armbruster, Chris, "Society Publishing, the Internet and Open
Access: Shifting Mission-Orientation from Content Holding to
Certification and Navigation Services?" (July 2007).
Available at SSRN: http://ssrn.com/abstract=997819

or, for an overview, go to
http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/cf_dev/AbsByAuth.cfm?per_id=434782

Joe Esposito wrote:

If there is less money in the system, the bigger players are
better positioned to survive; if there is more money in the
system, the bigger players are better positioned to survive. The
issue is not the size of the market; it is the maturity of the
market.  Publishing is close to a no-growth business.  In
no-growth markets, consolidation is a likely, if not inevitable,
strategy.

The only reason that academic journals are published by such a
huge number of publishers--unlike, say, college texts (6 players
in the U.S. have 85% of the market)--is that the not-for-profit
status of many of the players makes them resistant to some
aspects of the marketplace.  That is neither good nor bad; it is
what it is.  If all journals publishers were publicly traded and
thus subject to Wall Street's stern review, consolidation would
come quickly; we would be down to three publishers in 5 years.