RE: Euromonitor license

Hi Kristine --

I have worked with many vendors on re-crafting contracts before
they expire, but I have not had a vendor approach me with these
types of conditions.  I would check my original contract and see
what protections you have to ensure that they provide the
services that you agreed upon when you signed your original
agreement.  This is also where I would contact both our legal
counsel office and purchasing to see what recourse we would have.
If they are having difficulty providing you with the services
that you agreed to with this new interface, that appears to be
there problem, not yours.  The fact that they cannot limit to the
dataset should have no bearing whatsoever on your existing
contract.  What I would envision is a reasonable next step is
that you get the new interface and the accompanying additional
resources under your current agreement.  However, when it is time
to renew, you will have to determine if the additional resources
warrant the additional fees that they will be charging you.

We have had a different issue with Euromonitor and it revolves
around walk-in users.  It has been rather odd because it seems
that the walk-ins are not clearly addressed in the agreement
(from my point of view), but there is a common belief, especially
among the academic business libraries, that it is permitted.  We
purchase this for the entire University of Michigan system and am
very leery about not allowing walk-in use for system-wide
resources.  I bring this up because our renewal with Euromonitor
has been difficult.  They seem to have a position and stand firm
by it.  We have not been able to find the common ground yet and I
fear that my only recourse would be to walk away from the
resource.  I cannot point to where their reasoning is coming
from, but this take or leave it approach to working with
libraries is really troublesome.

Having said that, I hope some of this is useful and that you find
a happy medium.

Best -- Corey

Corey Seeman

Director