Thatcher vs. Harnad

I have been following the recent (ongoing?) debate between Sandy Thatcher and Stevan Harnad, but it does seem to me that the world has already moved beyond the terms of the argument. Thatcher gets it mostly right and Harnad mostly wrong, but there are enough other people determined to get it wrong as well, thus boosting the Harnadian platform by acclamation. As I have remarked before on this list (though I misspelled it), open access is a fait accompli. Arguments in favor of it, however false, misleading, or intellectually dishonest, carry the day with the proven strategy of saying the same thing over and over in a louder and louder voice.

Please test the hypothesis: take any highly-cited article six months after formal publication; Google for it using author's name and article title; and see if you can find it somewhere on the Web without access restrictions. You may not find the article if you simply use keywords, as many OA articles are poorly designed for search-engine optimization.

The kids have had a great time tearing down the playhouse. The responsibility of those who care about scholarly communications is to pick up the pieces and forge something new. OA may be a huge policy error, but it has happened, and we would compound the error if we did not attempt to clean our nest now that it has been fouled.

Joe Esposito