RE: Potential positive spiral in transition to open access

Dear Peter

You say that you do not know of 'a single major US nonprofit
publisher who has or is considering an open access model'.

Obviously, I don't know your definition of 'major', but the
American Physical Society publishes the open access 'Physical
Review Special Topics - Accelerators and Beam'.  They also have
their open access 'free to read' programme.

PNAS has a hybrid 'author pays' open access option.  As does
Plant Cell (from the American Society of Plant Biologists) - the
primary research journal in plant biology with the highest impact
factor.

These are just off the top of my head and so apologies to the
other organisations offering similar programmes.

Best wishes

David C Prosser PhD
Director
SPARC Europe