RE: Matt Cockerill's comments [Wellcome Trust and OA fees thread]

Paul:  You are correct when you say that the Wellcome has not set
an upper limit. However, if a publisher set a price that was
significantly higher than the norm, then we would want to know
why.  Obviously the Trust has to right to decide that a fee is
too high and will not meet these costs.

The Trust did consider adding an OA element to its existing
grants, but decided that whilst we are in this interim phase -
with many publishers now beginning to offer a hybrid OA option -
it was easier (for our grantees) to simply say that these costs
would be covered by the Trust.

Keeping things easy for the researcher is important - if we lose
the support of the researcher, then OA will not happen.
Currently the Trust is putting a lot of effort into making our
researchers aware of their grant obligations (namely to make
their research outputs freely available), and the benefits of OA.
Consequently, at this stage we felt that expecting them to make a
value-for-money decision with regard to which journal they should
publish in would be additional, unwelcome burden.

This situation of providing black grants to universities to cover
OA costs (see: http://www.wellcome.ac.uk/doc_WTX036803.html) will
be kept under review, and if we feel that this is not working
effectively, then we will look to find another way of meeting
these OA costs.

The obvious alternative would be to require grantees to add an OA
cost to their grant applications.  This has its own problems -
grants expiring before papers are published, unknown costs, money
tied up that many not be used etc - but it may be an option we
have to consider.

Best regards
Robert