Re: The Value of OA

Peter, et al. Publishers have an understandable interest in the
existence or otherwise of access difficulties. Obviously, the
marginal benefit of OA depends, in part, on the size of the
margin. Perhaps we should begin with some evidence.

Three references spring to mind:

1. In a survey of more than 5,500 senior researchers, Rowlands
and Nicholas (2005, p23) found that almost 74% thought that "high
prices made it difficult to access the journal literature."
Rowlands, I. and Nicholas, D. (2005) /New Journal Publishing
Models: An international survey of senior researchers,/ CIBER=
report for the Publishers Association and the International=
Association of STM Publishers, p23. Available
http://www.slais.ucl.ac.uk/papers/dni-20050925.pdf.

2. Sparks (2005, pp26-28) appeared to report that almost half of
the 750 researchers she surveyed reported having problems gaining
access to the resources they needed for their research, with more
than half in medical and biological sciences (52.5%) and arts and
humanities (53.4%) reporting difficulties. The major reported
problems were access to journal articles, books and conference
proceedings. Of those reporting difficulties, between 80% and 90%
of researchers in medical and biological sciences, physical
sciences and social sciences said that their "library did not
take the journals they needed to access for their work", as did
70% to 80% of those in languages, arts and humanities. Sparks, S.
(2005) /JISC Disciplinary Differences Report,/ Rightscom, London.
Available
http://www.jisc.ac.uk/uploaded_documents/Disciplinary%20Differences%20and%2=
0Needs.doc.

3. Reporting on an extensive review of the evidence EPS et al.
(2006, p11) noted that "All researchers appear to have similar
levels of access to the journal materials they need. The issue of
ease of access to journals shows little meaningful variation by
discipline =96 around 50% of all researchers, regardless of
discipline, experience problems. " EPS (2006) /UK scholarly
journals: 2006 baseline report =96 An evidence-based analysis of
data concerning scholarly journal publishing/, RIN, RCUK and DTI,
p11. Available http://www.rin.ac.uk/data-scholarly-journals.

By way of triangulation, a 50% to 75% reported access difficulty
correlates pretty well with the additional level of citation of
OA articles reported by many studies (e.g. the open citation
project, at http://opcit.eprints.org/). And, of course, some
proportion of the benefits of OA may relate to non-university
based researchers (e.g. in smaller firms in biotechnology,
electronics, engineering, management consulting, etc.).

In regard to costs and benefits, there are a number of people
looking into the issue of the relative costs and benefits of toll
versus open access. Our own work in Australia is one example.
Houghton, J.W. Steele, C. & Sheehan, P.J. (2006) /Research
Communication Costs in Australia, Emerging Opportunities and
Benefits/, Department of Education, Science and Training,
Canberra. Available http://dspace.anu.edu.au/handle/1885/44485.
See also the Economic and Social Impacts of OA agenda at
http://www.cfses.com/projects/Easi-OA.htm.
<http://www.cfses.com/projects/Easi-OA.htm>

Like you, I think it is an area where we really do need to move
from statements to evidence.

<http://www.dest.gov.au/sectors/research_sector/policies_issues_reviews/key=
_issues/australian_research_information_infrastructure_committee/documents/=
dest_research_communications_cost_report_sept2006_pdf.htm>Regards,
John Houghton

Centre for Strategic Economic Studies (CSES), Victoria University
John.Houghton E-mail:
john.houghton@vu.edu.au Web: www.cfses.com