-------------------------------

From: "Kiley ,Robert" <r.kiley@wellcome.ac.uk> Date: Thursday, March 29, 2007 7:46 pm Subject: RE: Matt Cockerill's comments [Wellcome Trust and OA fees thread]
To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu

I would like to quickly comment on Paul Peters remarks that:

"...by having a set amount (say $3,000) that they are willing to pay for the publication of an article (which is more or less the policy of the Wellcome Trust)," and "Unfortunately, neither the policy of the Wellcome Trust nor that of CERN's SCOAP3 have a mechanism for increasing the competition between publishers, so one cannot expect that they will lead to greater efficiency in the publishing market"

***

The Wellcome Trust has never set a figure on how much it is prepared to pay for an open access article. The Trust recognises that publishing incurs a cost, and that this is a legitimate research costs which it is prepared to meet.

The specific costs are set by the publishers - and though it is true that the OA costs are coalescing around $3000, some publishers have gone lower (e.g. ASBMB charge $1500) and some have gone higher (e.g. Cell Press charge $5000). We will not know whether this is a true reflection of costs until the market itself demonstrates it.

Robert Kiley
Head of e-Strategy
Wellcome Library.
mailto:r.kiley@wellcome.ac.uk