Sent: 31 March 2007 20:19
To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
Subject: RE: Is it time to stop printing journals?

No.  My users have had us ILL for copies from things we've
recycled because we have online.  Some of the SD scans are
horrible and the scientist can't make out the table figures. In
fact, we've had to ILL twice for one article because the first
came from a microfilm which was worse.  We had to track down a
library that would photocopy the print and send it snail mail.

We have at least two generations we have to serve here so we
still need to serve both.  My users want to scan the print
(browse, that is), then save the electronic, and print from the
electronic and read that copy so they can mark it.

This is all in my opinion and does not reflect the policy of my
place of work or our management.

Christina K. Pikas, MLS
R.E. Gibson Library & Information Center The Johns Hopkins University
Applied Physics Laboratory