Re: Post Brussels : the economics of editors

Not self-evident for the reason Phil gives. And I would urge everyone to read the initial part of John Thompson's "Books in the Digital Age" (Polity Press, 2005) where he masterfully analyzes the respective roles of human capital, intellectual capital, economic capital, and symbolic capital (the latter is what Phil calls "prestige") in scholarly publishing. Symbolic capital, as Phil suggests and Thompson argues, is often the most important type of capital for scholars themselves (and typically leads to increases in economic capital through professional advancement).

Although I can't claim to know how munificent the payments to journal editors get, I suspect they ultimately pale in comparison to the symbolic capital associated with editing prestigious journals. Yes, there is some competition among journal publishers on this score, especially where societies are outsourcing their journal publication and want to maximize their economic return so as to be able better to subsidize their other valued activities. On the other hand, this competition is ineffective when a press like ours actually owns the journals; if one of our editors is lured by an offer from another publisher, the editor does NOT have the option of taking the journal away. The most the editor can do is to launch a competing journal, which of course entails sometimes steep startup costs that the raiding publisher may be reluctant to absorb. If one of our editors is approached by another publisher, we simply say that the journal is not for sale-end of story! If the editor is unhappy, we say goodbye to the editor and get another. But in fact we have never had an editor lodge such a complaint, and our journals are doing just fine, thank you!

I don't see how gathering data at the aggregate level is going to increase competition; the survey will not reveal the titles of which journals are funded in which ways and which are not. But the aggregate data will be helpful in illuminating the overall landscape of university press journal publishing. As AAUP president (beginning in June) I will be recommending that the AAUP start gathering data on AAUP press journal operations systematically again, as it once used to do some years ago.