Sent: Monday, March 05, 2007 6:37 PM
To: liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
Subject: Re: Post Brussels : the economics of editors

Imperfect information allows for market inefficiencies, but in
this case, Joe is forgetting that editors derive as much (or
more) from their relationships with publishers than the often
mediocre honoraria they receive in return.  Editors are mostly
paid in an abstract commodity called "prestige", which can be
translated into worldly goods within the academy (advancement,
grants and awards, people) and let us not forget the powerful
position of being a gatekeeper of what is published.  We cannot
simply consider editors to be employees of a publishing house.
Such a narrow view only focuses on monetary transaction between
the two actors and ignores the more valuable transfer of
prestige.

--Phil Davis