ALPSP Learned Journals Collection signs major deal with the Southern European Library Link (SELL) consortia

From: "Damian Leslie" <dleslie@nl.swets.com>
To: <liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu>
Subject: ALPSP Learned Journals Collection signs major deal with
the Southern European Library Link (SELL) consortia

The below message was sent out by Swets and the ALPSP this
morning. I thought it may be interesting for some list members.

Yours,

Damian

****

ALPSP Learned Journals Collection signs major deal with the
Southern European Library Link (SELL) consortia

The Association of Learned and Professional Society Publishers,
in partnership with Swets, is pleased to announce the signing of
the first cross-country consortia agreement for its ALPSP Learned
Journals Collection.  The agreement brings together members of
the Anatolian University Libraries Consortium (ANKOS) in Turkey,
Hellenic Academic Libraries Link (Heal-Link) in Greece, Consorcio
de Bibliotecas Universitarias de Catalunya (CBUC), and other
institutions in Italy, Portugal and Spain under the umbrella of
the Southern European Library Link (SELL).

SELL is a unique library forum where library consortia from
participating countries debate the challenges and opportunities
associated with the management of e-consortia. This is the first
time that this collaboration has extended beyond the forum,
providing an agreement that equally benefits members of different
consortia across Southern Europe, demonstrating SELL's commitment
to providing quality content to its many users.

Lluis Anglada and Nuria Comellas from the CBUC were instrumental
in arranging the agreement. "The ability to coordinate people
from so many different libraries and countries was possible
thanks to the confidence we have built in the SELL meetings and
relations," said Mr. Anglada.

Claudine Xenidou-Dervou, Coordinator of the Steering Committee at
HEAL-LINK and Bulent Karazozen, Chairman of ANKOS, commented on
behalf of SELL: "For a number of years we wished to have access
to full-text journals from many of the publishers involved in
ALJC, but negotiating with every publisher separately seemed like
an impossible task. The ALJC solved this by placing content from
a wide range of publishers under a single license with a
simplified pricing model--it is indeed a great initiative and we
hope that more publishers will join. Moreover, we are very
pleased that the ALJC is our first common agreement for the
members of SELL.  We believe that all members of the individual
consortia (ANKOS, HEAL-Link, CBUC) participating in SELL will
benefit greatly from this agreement.

Arie Jongejan, CEO of Swets, adds: "We are delighted to welcome
SELL to our expanding list of ALJC customers. Swets firmly
believes in the importance of creating products and service
solutions that adapt to the varying needs of our customers. Our
unique and exclusive partnership with ALPSP allows us to help a
significant number of consortia customers gain access to a
substantial collection of valuable electronic journals that they
would be unable to subscribe to otherwise."

About the ALJC
The ALJC (www.alpsp-collection.org) is an initiative in which
smaller member publishers of the Association of Learned and
Professional Society Publishers (ALPSP) work together, through
Swets, to sell a combined package of their journals to consortia
and other large customers. Now entering its fourth year in the
market, the ALJC provides a unique and straightforward way for
libraries and consortia to acquire content from 48 highly
regarded publishers from a single source. With a total of 627
titles making up the full set and the availability of nine new
subject-specific collections, the 2007 ALJC offers a wealth of
high quality electronic content in an affordable, direct and
flexible manner.

About Swets
Swets is the world's leading subscription services company. We
build on more than 100 years of experience to maximize the return
on investments in time and money for clients and publishers in
today's complex information marketplace. With clients in over 160
countries and more than twenty offices around the world, Swets is
a true "long tail" power that provides the most comprehensive and
sophisticated e-commerce platform currently available in its
field. Swets has been included in E-Content Magazine's "100
companies that matter most in the Digital Content Industry" for
the past two years and appeared at number 95 in FEM Business'
"Top 500 Companies in The Netherlands" in 2006. We are the only
subscription services company that is ISO 9001:2000 certified on
a global basis--a testament to our stringent operation and client
service procedures. Swets has been the exclusive sales partner of
the ALJC since winning the tender to represent the collection in
2003.

About SELL
The SELL consortium (http://www.heal-link.gr/SELL/) was created
in an effort to bring together libraries from Southern European
Countries. Its main purpose is to serve as a forum for the
discussion of issues related to electronic publishing and
consortia.  It also aims to promote the special requirements of
its members to information aggregators, to draw common policies
towards information acquirement and provision, and to support
other fields of collaboration.

About ALPSP
The Association of Learned and Professional Society Publishers
(ALPSP) was formed in 1972 - today it is the only international
trade association representing all types of non-profit
publishers, as well as the largest trade association for
scholarly and professional publishers. Its members publish
approximately 10,000 journals worldwide, as well as books,
databases and other products and services. ALPSP's mission is to
play an active part in shaping the future of academic and
professional communication. The ALPSP Learned Journals Collection
(ALJC) is the most important of ALPSP's range of collaborative
initiatives for members.

Media Contacts
Damian Leslie
Swets Information Services B.V.