RE: PR's 'pit bull' takes on open access: excerpts from article in Nature Magazine

For reasons I can't fathom, everyone seems to assume that
journals are all housed at universities.  As a Washingtonian, I
know many many are housed at associations.  In the case of our
journal, there is a staff of six plus the editor, all of whom
require salaries (and salaries that cover the cost of living in
the expensive DC area) as well as health insurance.  Unlike some
journals, we do not subsidize our association--the reverse is
true.  And most of our authors do not receive grant funding; we
have never even charged page charges, no less publication fees.

I frankly get a little irritated when those who don't publish
journals comment as if they were experts.  (And I'm not singling
out you, Charles).  I know something about how subscriptions work
for libraries, but I wouldn't presume to be an expert.  The world
of journal publishing is very varied, with all kinds of models in
place.  And the costs of publishing are not modest, even in the
most bare bones environment. This is why many open access
journals must rely heavily on subsidies PLUS author fees to
operate.

Lisa Dittrich
Managing Editor
Academic Medicine