From: "Charles W. Bailey, Jr." <cwbailey@digital-scholarship.com>
To: <liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu>
Sent: Monday, February 19, 2007 4:00 PM
Subject: Re: PR's 'pit bull' takes on open access: excerpts from article in
Nature Magazine

Sally:

People and infrastructure costs are indeed important.

My assumption is that the SFU Library (and/or its parent institution) is subsidizing most of these costs (people, in this case, meaning technical support staff) and charging modest fees to recoup some incremental costs that are not covered by in-place, baseline human/technical/facility infrastructure. (Heather can clarify if this is not so.)

The external "publishers" paying these modest fees then only have to worry about the costs of editorial and journal production support (the latter may be as simple as creating PDFs from Word files and putting them and metadata into OJS). Editorial support may be done entirely by volunteers, whose salaries are being paid as part of their real jobs by various universities and other organizations worldwide.

http://software.lib.sfu.ca/docs/software.prices.pdf

So, from the external "publishers" point of view, the only real costs are as outlined above, and, from the SFU Library point of view, the costs are not viewed as if there was no infrastructure already in place: to a large degree, it was there already for other purposes, and it is the incremental cost on top of this base that is required perform the new journal-hosting function that is viewed as their "real" cost.

Best Regards, Charles

Charles W. Bailey, Jr.

Digital Scholarship
http://www.digital-scholarship.org/
E-Mail: cwbailey@digital-scholarship.com

Sally Morris (Morris Associates) wrote:

I think all of those involved in publishing recognize that the
major element of cost is people;  infrastructure is also an
important element - e.g. buildings, heat and light, computers
and their systems (quite complex if they are hosting
e-journals). If these costs were ignored, I'd be prepared to
guess that many publishers, both commercial and otherwise,
could come up with a similar figure. We have to be careful not
to compare apples with oranges!

Sally Morris
Consultant, Morris Associates (Publishing Consultancy)
South House, The Street
Clapham, Worthing, West Sussex BN13 3UU, UK