RE: Study Identifies Factors that Could Lead to Journal Cancellations

Anthony Watkinson wrote:

> Heather Morrison may well be right but there is one point she
> makes and has made before which has to be challenged. ArChiv is
> populated by preprints and not by postprints on the whole.

When we checked this (in September 2005) the numbers of articles
in arXiv were:

Total records:
336829
Those with a complete journal reference:
173901
Those with an annotation saying "Accepted":		  	 15772

i.e. around 56% of articles have postprint status.

A further 14539 have an annotation saying "Submitted" and may be
pre- or post- peer review.

The rest have no discernible status and must in most cases be
preprints.

Alma Swan
Key Perspectives Ltd
Truro, UK