re: Study Identifies Factors that Could Lead to Journal Cancellations

Apologies to those list subscribers who have been awaiting a
response from Simon and I with reference to a number of comments
with reference to our recent study commissioned by the Publishing
Research Consortium (www.publishingresearch.org.uk.)
"Self-Archiving and Journal Subscriptions: Co-existence or
Competition?:An International Survey of Librarians' Preferences"

A combination of travel, hardware failures and lurgie have
delayed our response.

We will be responding to them all over the next couple of days.

With reference to Heather Morrison's post
http://www.library.yale.edu/~llicense/ListArchives/0611/msg00045.html
she makes a number of points, the substantive assertions being:

"Elements of the model examined:

Version of Article

Percentage of a Journal's Articles that are Available Reliability
of Access How up-to-date is the content Quality of the content
Cost

The problem with this, is that the primary factors determining
collections decisions are not taken into account: research and
educational priorities of the university, and faculty assessment
of the importance of journals. When we take these factors into
account, we can see why it makes sense that librarians continue
to subscribe to physics journals, even when prices are considered
high and virtually all of the articles are available for free in
arXiv."

As the methodology section of the report Pg 39 indicates

"Initially a number of factors were identified by SIS that they
thought library decision-makers were most likely to consider
important when purchasing content for libraries. These were
tested and validated by extended (typically 60-90 minute) face to
face discussions with six senior decision makers at the Midwinter
ALA conference in San Antonio and additional follow-up,
open-ended, in-depth interviews by telephone. Following
modification, the web based questionnaire was piloted among a
further six respondents (three of whom had participated in the
initial definitional phase and three who had not) and the
questionnaire finalised. Feedback from this process resulted in a
reduction of the attributes to be tested in the conjoint analysis
from an original eight (12) to six and to some minor rewording of
the attitudinal survey."

The footnote (12) indicates "The two attributes that were include
in the original draft conjoint survey but subsequently excluded
were "Archive and Permanence" and "Importance to your Collection"

"Importance to your Collection", which I think equates to
Heather's point of "research and educational priorities of the
university and faculty assessment of the importance of journals",
was therefore considered and proposed for inclusion in the
formulation of the conjoint survey. However as indicated in the
paragraph above and footnote this was excluded from the final
survey in order to simplify the completion of the survey.
Feedback from the pilot indicated that having eight variables
made completing the survey too complicated. The decision to
exclude this variable was made in discussion with the library
members who made up the pilot team. The logic for its exclusion
was simply that, in the context of making a choice between
different incarnations OF THE SAME CONTENT (i.e. the same article
appearing in a journal, in a licensed database or on an OA
Institutional or subject repository), the importance of that
particular article is constant across the different incarnations.
An article does not become more or less important to the
collection needs of the institution because it appears in an OA
archive rather than a licensed database or a journal. It was this
argument that persuaded us, in discussion with our library panel,
to exclude this factor, given that concerns of excessive
complexity required the reduction of the number of factors from 8
to 6.

We addressed this, and some other factors, directly in the
introductory text to the web survey (page 49 of the report) where
we said:

"You can assume for the purposes of this questionnaire that: all
content is equally easy to find using library tools and general
search engines; all content is relevant to your library; and all
content has satisfactory archiving arrangements. We do know these
are important factors but they have been deliberately excluded
from this exercise."

Respondents were required to tick a box indicating that they had
read and understood the instructions before they were able to
continue.

I hope that reassures Heather and others that we did not overlook
the importance of material to a collection as a factor.

She makes a further point that:

"For decades, libraries have been forced to cancel subscriptions
due to prices rising far above inflation. No study of librarians'
preferences and journal cancellations which not does consider
this major factor can be considered even remotely objective."

Since COST was one of the attributes identified by librarians in
our panel as one of the important factors and was included as one
of the attributes in the conjoint analysis I am at a loss as to
what Heather's argument is here. It was considered and included.

Lastly

"In other words, the answers this study have found really do not
matter, because it did not ask the right questions. Research into
librarians' collections decisions might be best led by
librarians."

Au contraire; the results do matter. And as a qualified librarian
and one with 27 years experience working on both sides of the
industry I welcome her recognition of the importance of
librarians' involvement in the leadership of investigations into
issues of importance to the industry. This study was led by a
qualified librarian and had extensive input from an insightful
and experienced librarian panel.

Chris Beckett (MA Information Studies University of Sheffield
1979)
Director
Scholarly Information Strategies Limited
Oxford Centre for Innovation
Mill St
Oxford
skype cjbhome

http://del.icio.us/cbeckett <http://del.icio.us/cbeckett>
E: chris@scholinfo.com
W: www.scholinfo.com <http://www.scholinfo.com/>

Consultants in Scholarly Publishing to Publishers, Intermediaries and
Libraries.
kk