RE: Study Identifies Factors that Could Lead to Journal Cancellations

Anthony

I had a vague memory that somebody had carried out a study to
show that many authors were actually updating their pre-prints in
arXiv to also provide the final, post-print version.  I couldn't
find what I was looking for, but came across this presentation
given by John Haynes of IoPP last year:

http://www.alpsp.org/events/2005/PPR/haynes.ppt#2

In it he states that in 'High energy physics and astrophysics
journals' there is 'Almost 100% overlap between what is published
in the journal and a version of that article on arXiv' and
'Authors tend to update their arXiv version with most current'
(slide 5).  He also says 'Versions available on arXiv are
scientifically very similar to, if not identical to published
versions' (slide 10).  So, if John is correct (and I suspect he
knows much more about this than we do) it would appear that arXiv
contains both pre- and post-prints for a large proportion of the
papers we are talking about.

John does go on to say that it would be 'Wise to be concerned
about how cash-strapped libraries will respond to a field that is
well resourced with "near enough" versions of journal
articles.especially true as librarians start to make more use of
usage statistics (e.g. COUNTER)''.  He is, of course, entitled to
be concerned, but there is no evidence that the libraries'
response over the past 14 years of arXiv's existence has been to
cancel any journals as a response to arXiv.

Best wishes

David C Prosser PhD
Director
SPARC Europe