Re: Errors in author's versions

Two separate points under discussion here, no?  First is the
question of whether publishers add value through one aspect of
the editing process, sometimes and incorrectly called
copy-editing.  This is the editing that takes place AFTER a
manuscript is accepted for publication.  While this debate has
been raging, I wandered over to my wife's desk, where she, a
medical editor, spends the day reworking obscure language,
sometimes rewriting paragraphs and often entire articles,
checking and formatting citations, checking Web links, etc. This
material routinely goes back and forth between editor and author
until a final version is produced. When I told her that many
people question the editorial value that a publisher brings to
STM articles, she looked up at me as though to say, "You must be
kidding!"  This is Anthony's point, and it is correct.

Now there is the question of whether there are significant errors
in OA material that does not exist in the authorized version of
the same material as made available from the publisher.  Trick
question.  Which version of the editing ultimately appears in an
OA repository?  If the first, boy! I hope my doctor isn't working
from that.  The second?  Still risky.  The third? Sorry, but I am
cautious about this kind of thing.  It's the final, except for
being rendered as a PDF (typically from a Microsoft Word file).
Well, that's okay, though how do I know that?

I personally am not aware of any harm that has come to a patient
at the hands of a doctor who worked with an OA copy of an article
where there was a materially corrected version available from a
publisher.  This is David's point, and it is correct.

The difficult question is, What would happen if the OA article
were entirely unedited?  If the publisher doesn't continue to
carry the cost of this work, who will?  OA thus depends on a
vibrant *and profitable* publishing sector to secure the quality
of even OA repositories.  We can say that publications cost too
much, that some publishers are pigs, that not all authors require
the same amount of editorial attention, and so on, but don't say
that publishers do not add value.  It's simply not so.

Joe Esposito