From: "Peter Banks" <pbanks@bankspub.com>
To: <liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu>
Sent: Thursday, July 20, 2006 11:51 PM
Subject: Re: Publishers and the doctrine of Good Works

I simply disagree with you. Your perspective dates from Rockefeller's era, prior to the era of breakneck technological innovation and product development.

Even if any of us had the knowledge to know what the preferred forms of communication would be in 5 years (or 1, or 3 months!), it would not be in our interest to restrain them--if for no other reason than pure greedy, capitalistic self-interest. Others are doing the work of exploration and business experimentation, at no cost to us, the fruits of which are then available to exploit.

Peter Banks