Community of Science

Greetings all,

Our institution is considering a site license for Community of
Science [http://www.cos.com/], especially for their Funding
Opportunities database and alerting service.  We are considering
approximately 65 workbench accounts, all to be licensed by the
library.  Based on the webex demo we had yesterday, there is no
way we can manage the individual workbench accounts, and this
concerns me.  I was told that all I have to do is to send them a
list of names and email addresses, and CoS will handle all the
workbench account setup directly with the scientist.  When a new
scientist arrives or one leaves, "all I have to do" is to send
them an email, and they will take care of closing the workbench
account or setting up a new one.  I am very supportive of having
this service available to our scientists, but I feel like once I
send an email, the library will be out of the loop as far as what
happens next and when, and this concerns me.

It concerns me for several reasons, not the least of which is a
lack of transparency in the account management process. There is
also the issue of instructing and training users.  I would like
to have functionality similar to what we have with ILLiad and
Voyager, where we can expire accounts and set up new ones, but
that does not seem to be possible.

We had a similar type of service that we paid $7500/year for when
I got here about 4 years ago, and when I asked scientists about
it, only one of 65 persons was using it, and even he was
supportive of discontinuing this service.

I would be interested in hearing off-list from any libraries that
manage their institution's Community of Science license including
workbench accounts, so that I could contact you to talk about
your experience in managing it.

Regards,
Danny Jones

Daniel H. Jones, M.L.S.
Librarian
Preston G. Northrup Memorial Library
Southwest Foundation for Biomedical Research
Tel:  210-258-9426
Fax:  210-670-3313
Email:  djones@sfbr.org