RE: Maximising research access vs. minimizing copy-editing errors:WARNING LONG

Let me try to answer this.  I'll say first that I work at an
education journal, so I cannot address the issue of people dying
or not because of errors in mss., although I've heard stories
here and there (not about people dying, but about inadvertant
slips in dosage info, etc.).  But, again, here's my experience.

First, let me say that when journal editors (with a big "E") talk
about "value added" they mean much more than
copyediting/substantive editing. They are talking about what it
takes to run a peer-review system (and it DOES take work and
money, beyond the volunteer efforts of peer-reviewers, which we
certainly very much appreciate); the costs of maintaining a Web
site and keeping up w/the attendent changes in technology;
promoting the journal (and thereby the work of authors), etc.
It's also the imprimatur (sp?) of the journal that is an added
value.  This is why authors can't seem to live w/us or w/out us.
Because if we don't add anything, why not just post articles to a
web site and be done w/it?  Now, everyone can argue what the
financial value of this is--i.e., how much should be paid for
this and who should pay it, but there is value added.

But onto manuscript editing.  It sounds like you are a good
writer.  And many of our authors are.  For them, what we do is
icing on the cake, as well as what we need to do to format text
to meet our style requirements.  If all of our authors were not
only excellent w/their content but also excellent at writing
about their areas of expertise, then you would be pretty much
correct--we'd be left to do pretty useless copyediting and
formatting.

But many other of our authors do NOT do a good job of conveying
their ideas, in part because they understand them so well
themselves.  They mix up terms, don't define well what they mean,
write in a disorganized way, or leave out things because they
know it so why don't we? Sometimes reviewers pick this up--but
sometimes they don't, because they, too are experts in the same
field, and often can fill in the dots, or are reading so fast
they get the major points but don't realize some "connective
tissue" is missing.  I recently helped a junior copyeditor with a
paper in which an author introduced a term halfway through the
ms. and it was completely unclear whether or not he was using a
different name for something discussed earlier, or whether this
was a new concept, or....And the whole ms. was full of things
like this.  The program he was describing was interesting and
worth getting into the literature, but trying to sort out what he
meant was a bit dizzying. Only a good substantive editor working
closely with an author can tackle situations like that.

Also, more and more journal editors are dealing with ESL or
international authors.  Of course, some of these authors have a
better command of English than native speakers, but many really
need extra editing help.  It's a tough call deciding how far to
go, but a couple of years ago we had a paper from Argentina on a
really important topic--and it was almost unintelligable.  I
personally worked with the author to rewrite it virtually word by
word.  Would I do that again?  I don't know.  But it was an
important paper and certainly important to his career, and I was
happy to help him get his message out.

So, as usual, the answer isn't cut and dried.  And our journal is
admittedly one of the few that still does real substantive
editing.  I would note that authors never think their work needs
help--until we find their mistakes (as we did yesterday, in a
theme issue where all the authors mixed up a common term--and
we're talking bigwig authors) and they thank us.

Lisa