Re: Errors in author's versions

The problem with your hypotheses today is that they cannot be
tested. In clinical medicine, it is rare to find post-prints or
pre-preprints posted in repositories. That could change in the
future, though I suspect not, because authors themselves probably
won't want anything less than than their most proofed and
polished work available.

Suppose, however, that clinical medical articles were widely
available in pre- or post-print forms. It is likely that any
dangerous mistake that found its way into usage and resulted in
harm would be a rare event. The fact that there is a very small,
though finite, potential for harm is not an argument for the
failure to exercise due diligence by distributing only that
information that is as carefully reviewed and refined as
possible. In every field--whether engineering, aviation, or
medicine--we check and cross check information to guard against
the possibility of a highly improbable yet potentially
catastrophic event.

Peter Banks
Banks Publishing
Publications Consulting and Services