Response to Janellyn Kleiner

I'd just like some answers that may blow holes in my current opinion that scholarly publishing is the most profitable venture going in the world of publishing.
JE: Well, it all depends on what you mean by publishing. Scholarly monograph publishing mostly operates at a deficit. Many, probably, most research journals lose money. College textbook publishing is still highly profitable, but its future is behind it. School publishing is profitable for the big guys (only 4 left). Trade publishing is unspeakable from a business point of view. But you probably mean STM journals. This is a highly profitable niche, but its success is relative to the otherwise truly dismal performance of other publishing segments. If you are looking for money, go into energy or real estate. Only a fool would invest in publishing nowadays.

Joe Esposito