RE: Suber's refutation of universities paying more for OA

Please understand that Heather's description of society funding applies
to very few of us. For many (perhaps most) scientific societies, member
dues do not begin to cover services to our members in support of their
learned communities, and conferences break even or make a small profit
in a good year. Even if we could afford to designate $10 of every
member's dues for OA, it would not take us very far towards an OA model.

Events like 9/11, hurricanes, or the collapse of a segment of industry
(such as telecommunications a few years ago) can all have devastating
financial impacts on conferences that cannot be foreseen when the
meetings are planned years in advance. Our academic members find their
budgets squeezed just as librarians do, and we must take as much care
pricing membership and meetings as we do publications.

Publications have been the dependable revenue source for reinvestment in
technology that improves access and dissemination of the research. In
addition, that revenue ensures continuation of the community activities
for researchers that serve as a nursery for the ideas and connections
that are fostered there, which grow and eventually provide the  articles
published in our journals. The three legs of societies -- membership,
meetings, and publications -- are all interdependent.

Our journals are not high priced, but without the revenue they do
provide, I don't know how our scientific community would stay together
in the same productive way. At least in my society's discipline, blogs
are not yet an adequate replacement for membership and meetings, which
still have value -- but I don't expect in my lifetime to see our
membership and meetings revenue able to sustain our publications
financially. I'd be thrilled if it were otherwise!

Patricia Shaffer
Director of Publications
Institute for Opertions Research and the Management Sciences (INFORMS)