RE: Suber's refutation of universities paying more for OA

Willliam Walters writes:

I'd question whether the no-fee journals, which operate largely
on a volunteer basis, can handle the volume of research output
that would be required in a truly Open Access environment.

Comments:

Good question, William!

No-fee journals operate on a variety of business models, from
volunteering to subsidies from various sources to advertising
revenues to combinations. In this post, I will focus on a
membership fee subsidy approach, for learned societies and
associations.

Many traditional journals produced by societies and associations
have always operated on a subsidy basis, with the subsidy funding
coming from such sources as membership fees and conferences.

A large and wealthy association could no doubt subsidize a very
substantial open access publishing program, if it chose to do so.

Picture, for example, how many journals and articles the largest
scientist organization in the world could publish OA, if they
chose.

According to their web site, the American Chemical Society is the
world's largest scientific society, with 158,000 members.  If $10
from every membership were devoted to OA publishing, this would
create an annual subsidy fund of over $1.5 million per year.

It is not at all out of the question for an organization of this
size to find this kind of money internally, without having to
raise membership fees a penny.

Considering how important the benefits of open access are,
perhaps the ACS should give this some thought.

If any of the organizations I belong to were to ask me if this
were a suitable use of my membership funding, I would not
hesitate for a second to say yes.

Heather G. Morrison
http://chemistswithoutborders.blogspot.com