Re: Suber's refutation of universities paying more for OA

Your argument would hold water were it true that essentially all
costs of publishing are now borne, directly or indirectly, by the
government. However, this is not true, at least not for the
journals that are at the center of Capitol Hill's love affair
with open access. Medical journals, especially society journals,
have a diversified base of revenue, from pharmaceutical
advertising, reprint sales, individual subscriptions, membership
dues, and other sources including government subsidized page
charges.

I do not consider it "sensible" for a government that is
hemorrhaging money, grossly underfunding medical research, and
failing to ensure that health coverage is available to nearly 50
million people, to assume all of the costs of publishing, simply
so that it can claim exclusive control to an article (which is in
many cases already freely available to the public.) Worse, open
access has given senators and representatives a way to appear to
support medical research while in fact doing absolutely nothing
of substance (like increasing the NIH budget).

Peter Banks
Banks Publishing
Publications Consulting and Services
(703) 591-6544