RE: Suber's refutation of universities paying more for OA

A single research university is the wrong unit to use when
comparing costs.

If it costs my university more, but the total cost to the system
of higher ed in my state (or some larger governmental entity) is
lower - then I should support it. Otherwise we're just playing
Tragedy of the Commons in a new form.

Why not also agree that we need to support the many publishers
who have always provided excellent journals at excellent prices -
you don't have to be O.A. to be a good guy,

Margaret Landesman
University of Utah