Re: Does BMC's business model conflict with Editorial Independence?

Before this conversation completely goes astray, let me reframe my argument:

1) It is not about the integrity of BMC editors.
2) It is not about the merits of Open Access to society.
3) It is not about whether ethical breaches have been perpetrated by
other publishers.
4) This argument is about whether BMC's business model puts editorial
independence at risk.

Now, let us review the facts, and if I get any wrong, please correct me:

1) BMC rewards their editors with 20% of the author processing charge.
2) BMC requires editors to fund manuscripts that are accepted from
those who cannot pay.
3) Biomedical ethics organizations (COPE, WAME, ICMJE) have
guidelines that explicitly require the editorial decision-making to
be separated by the commercial interests of the journal, and,
BMC is a member of the first two organizations.

Again, this is not to accuse BMC editors of being unscrupulous. I am not privy to their decision-making, and what they do with the commission they receive from BMC for every paying author they can attract. Whether they simply pocket this money or use it to sponsor poor authors is up to them. In addition, most BMC journals publish very few articles per month. Richard's journal (Nutrition and Metabolism) averages about 3 published articles/month, so I can't imagine that his editorial expenses are high. I also cannot imagine that BMC journals, many of which publish ten or fewer articles per year, have the same kind of rejection rates of other prestigious journals they like to compare themselves with.

For most of my professional life, I have been a selector of science journals. If I told you that, in lieu of a salary, I received 20% of the subscription price for each journal I keep in my collection, you would be aghast. If I told you that I had to pay for publications from developing countries out of my own commission, you would be outraged. If I told you that Elsevier sent me a gift (a new Subaru Legacy Outback wagon, 2.5L, Atlantic blue pearl, with heated leather seats), for giving them more business last year, you would accuse me of abdicating my profession duties for personal financial advancement. I would recoil in shock that anyone would ever question my loyalty and integrity!

Yet unfortunately, I paid a meager salary and derive no bonuses from my decision-making. I dream of replacing our old 1996 Subaru hatchback, but this has no bearing on how I decide where my library spends its money. I am insulated from the possible influences of a tip-economy, and hope that my faculty believe that I am a fair and honest manager of our institution's funds.

Editors are the Gatekeepers of Science. If we want these individuals to be unbiased arbitrators of the scientific record, we need to stop rewarding them as commission salesmen.

--Phil Davis