PLoS policy on academic editor payment

We've been asked about the PLoS policy regarding payment to the
academic editors of PLoS Journals.  We don't pay the academic
editors of the PLoS journals, but the Editors-in-Chief of PLoS
Computational Biology, PLoS Genetics and PLoS Pathogens each have
a fixed annual expenses budget to cover journal-related travel
and other essential journal-related expenses.  As far as waivers
are concerned, editors and reviewers have no access to author
payment information, so that the ability to pay the publication
fee can never influence publishing decisions.

We also agree with Peter and others that there are multiple
competing interests that need to be disentangled from editorial
decision-making wherever possible.  This provided the motivation
for our policy not to include pharmaceutical or medical devices
advertising in PLoS journals. Editors (as well as authors,
reviewers etc) are also asked to declare any potential competing
interests concerning particular papers, and if necessary to
decline the invitation to handle a paper.  These issues are
relevant to all journals of course, whether or not they are open
access.

Mark Patterson
Director of Publishing

Public Library of Science