OA Now

Richard Feinman wrote:

[snip]

The question finally evolved to the important question as to whether a library would subscribe to a journal whose content was on-line and the conclusion was generally no although there would be some exceptions (oddly, like Science and Nature). I think it is obvious but the current paradox is that libraries are forced to do this although in a time-dependent manner, that is, after three-months the diabetes journals, for example, are on-line even though libraries had previously subscribed.

I know I am saying the obvious but the bottom line is that libraries are supporting a model that they would not normally support if they didn't have to.

[snip]

Richard, you have raised many interesting points - for today, I'd like to focus on the idea of library support for old and new models.

I am seeing many signs that libraries are in the process of finding ways to support new models for scholarly publishing, particularly open access.

For example, many libraries have memberships to BioMedCentral, and Public Library of Science, and actively encourage faculty members to publish in these venues.

Finding new ways of providing support for scholarly publications will be an exciting challenge for librarians. The skills developed in the course of purchasing access to electronic resources (e.g. developing new models - particularly for the consortial types - and negotiating) will be critical in developing new models for open access. I anticipate that many a liblicenser will play an important role in the transition process.

Many libraries are also supporting faculty in the transition to open access more directly through open access publishing ventures. See, for example, the posting: University of Tennessee Libraries Launch an All-OA Academic Press, on Open Access News at: http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/2006_03_05_fosblogarchive.html#

Richard's full message, OA Now, can be found at:
http://www.library.yale.edu/~llicense/ListArchives/0603/msg00126.html

a personal view by,

Heather Morrison
http://poeticeconomics.blogspot.com