RE: OA Now

And at least 40 years before that, Paul Goodman told us that the
University may not be the unit of interaction, that a professor
may be closer to another in his field a thousand miles away than
to the guy in the office next door.  I think groups of faculty in
the particular subject and groups of librarians across different
Universities is what it will take.  I think it can only be done
at a grassroots level. RF

"David Goodman" <David.Goodman@liu.edu>
Sent by: owner-liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu
03/28/06 07:44 PM
Please respond to
liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu

To <liblicense-l@lists.yale.edu>
Subject RE: OA Now

Dear Richard,

Your last paragraph proposes a perfectly sensible course of
action, and similar policies were even possible in the print era.
The University of California adopted just such a policy in 2003,
with the enthuastic support of its faculty* -- who then proceeded
to ignore it.

It is often an easy question what a university ought to do, but
It's quite another matter getting them to do it.

Dr. David Goodman
Associate Professor
Long Island University
dgoodman@liu.edu