Heads-up: Another possible scam

LIBLICENSE readers:

Apologies for cross-posting, but I have a heads-up regarding what
looks like another vendor scam.

Today I received a "collection notice" from Credit Mediators,
Inc. (CMI).  It referenced an outstanding invoice from Thomson
Scientific in the amount of $416.90, and directed us to send a
check within 48 hours -- but the check was to be made payable to
CMI, not to Thomson.  This smelled very, very scammy to me, so I
called my rep at Thomson to see what was going on.  He said he'd
never heard of CMI and asked me to fax a copy of the notice to
him so that he could have his people look into it.  They're doing
so now.

In the meantime, I called CMI and spoke with someone named Ben
Roberts. Our conversation reminded me of a similar conversation I
once had with a certain "Mrs. Larson" at "Pentium Capital" a year
or so ago; he was aggressive, unhelpful, unwilling to answer the
most basic questions, and unwilling to direct me to others at his
company who might be able to answer them.

I'm still waiting to hear back from Thomson.  It's possible that
they really did engage the services of CMI to collect on an old
invoice.  But it seems highly unlikely.  Normally a vendor or
publisher will just call me up and say "Hey, why hasn't this
invoice been paid yet" rather than ask a third party to send a
collection notice that doesn't include a copy of the invoice (or
even cite an invoice number) and that asks for the money to be
sent to that third party rather than the publisher to whom it's
owed.

Although I'm still waiting for word back from Thomson Scientific,
I thought it would be worthwhile to send a heads-up in case other
listmembers have received similar mailings in the last day or
two.  Once I know for sure what's going on, I'll send out a quick
update message. In the meantime, you all might want to check with
your staff and make sure no one is expediting payment on one of
these notices.

----
Rick Anderson
Dir. of Resource Acquisition