RE: Microsoft's Currency Converter and the Emerald Sixpack

Ok, so that's about US $1,643 per issue of about 100 pages? Or
$16.43 per page? Heckuva price. I"d be interested in knowing if
any libraries reading this are print subscribers. I have access
to it as a "package" subscription to Emerald journals online.

Given that it looks like its part of the package deal from
emerald perhaps they've in fact become a database
creator/provider more than a journal publisher? I.e. there may be
more database subscribers who get it than print subscribers ever
existed.

I think there's a really interesting set of questions embedded in
such a transformation. The cost of duplication etc. in the print
environment probably sets some limits of how few "subscribers"
you have before a title is allowed to expire. I.e. there's only
so much loss a publisher could take on a mature title before it
would be spiked. How, in a database driven production environment
do publishers get signals that a particular title isn't viable or
isn't contributing enough to be worth producing? Is there
anything that would convince a publisher absent print
subscriptions as a market inducement to kill a title other than
lack of paper flow? How does a "journal" die if its chief
manifestation is in a database package as part of a package sale?

Chuck Hamaker
Associate University Librarian Collections and Technical Services
Atkins Library
University of North Carolina Charlotte
Charlotte, NC 28223
phone 704 687-2825