Microsoft's Currency Converter and the Emerald Sixpack

Thanks, Chuck, for pointing this out. There are two things to straighten out here.

1) Dr. Steuer's letter, which was written in Microsoft Word quotes the price as of Journal of Economic Studies at 6,000 English pounds per year. When it exported the letter to text, MS Word thought that the English pound symbol was A3, thus the translitterated expression read A36,000. (I apologize for not catching that.)

2) The six copies that he refers to are presumably the 6 issues that constitute one year's subscription. According to Ulrich's Periodical index, JES is published bimonthly: The 2006 prices quoted by Ulrichs for JES are:

EUR 9,884.29 subscription per year in Europe
USD 9,859 subscription per year in North America
AUD 12,489 subscription per year in Australasia
GBP 6,817.54 subscription per year In Uk & Elsewhere

In 2003, they published a little more than 600 pages per year in these 6 issues. Curiously, I don't have access to a more recent copy of JES and so I don't know how many pages there were in 2005.

Ted

I was a bit puzzled by the comment in Dr. Steuer's letter: "In particular, the current price of =A36,000 plus vat for six copies is far out of line."

Is this just a reference to AU $6,000 per subscription or implying that only 6 subscriptions are being sold? I'm confused Thanks

Chuck Hamaker
Associate University Librarian Collections and Technical Services
Atkins Library
University of North Carolina Charlotte
Charlotte, NC 28223
phone 704 687-2825