RE: Does More Mean More?

Emma,

Neither I nor anyone else who supports the concept of journals
filtering papers are suggesting withholding papers. In health
sciences, all clinical trials papers should be available
somewhere. As the case of Vioxx shows, researchers need access to
all the data about a particular drug to conduct the meta-analyses
that would uncover dangerous side effects (As Eric Topol did with
Vioxx and other drugs.)

But that doesn't mean that a particular journal shouldn't filter
out papers that are poorly designed or outside its focus.
Surely a prestigious title like PLoS Clinical Trials does not
publish every study that comes over the transom.

The fact that we don't publish studies that we consider poorly
designed or unrelated to diabetes does not mean that we don't
support their publication somewhere, formally or in postprint
form.

Peter Banks
Publisher
American Diabetes Association
Email: pbanks@diabetes.org

>>> eveitch@plos.org 02/07/06 6:56 PM >>>

Agree with Steve. Particularly in the field of health sciences,
researchers who are doing systematic reviews or meta-analyses of
the literature would want access to *all* available information,
not just the subset that particular journals have filtered out
for them. The resercher's own filtering criteria can be specified
in the queries they put to PubMed or other databases. The
challenge is in making indexing of the literature sufficiently
sophisticated so it can support the sorts of queries that users
will want to run.

Best, Emma

Emma Veitch, PhD
Publications Manager, PLoS Clinical Trials
Public Library of Science
eveitch@plos.org