Re: Does More Mean More?

Though I agree that filtering need not be the exclusive province
of journals, filtering is more than peer review, and the
filtering that journals do is not yet antique.

In addition to peer review and the assurance of quality,
filtering also involves the aggregation of content relevant to a
particular community, the selection and presentation of the
canonical version of manuscripts, and the conferring of
professional recognition on author-researchers.

Though some OA journals (PLOS Biology, say) perform these
functions quite well, OA models as a whole do not. That's not to
say they can't in the future; it may simply be that currently the
emphasis is on the broad distribution of information rather than
on the careful filtering of information.

That said, there is no doubt that the relevance and role of
journals in the filtering process will change and evolve.
(Publishers like me had better change and evolve--or else go into
an easier field, like hazardous waste disposal, say. )

Peter Banks
Publisher
American Diabetes Association
Email: pbanks@diabetes.org

>>> sh94r@ecs.soton.ac.uk 02/06/06 10:04 PM >>>

The idea that "readers want the journal to do the filtering for
them" is really quite quaint, it seems to me. Perhaps not
surprisingly, as Sally mentions the term 'paper'. We need to be
careful about terminology here. In the electronic environment
journals do *peer review* rather than filter. If you want to see
what electronic filters are, see e.g. Citeseer, Google Scholar.
In these services peer review and associated journal titles are
labels (tags), more or less important depending on the user, that
go into the filter mix.

The changing role of journals in the overall scheme of filtering
and selection is a fascinating and critical point of enquiry, but
the old points of reference in this discussion are completely
inadequate.

Steve Hitchcock
IAM Group, School of Electronics and Computer Science
University of Southampton, SO17 1BJ, UK
Email: sh94r@ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tel: +44 (0)23 8059 3256    Fax: +44 (0)23 8059 2865