(cross-posted)

Here are some notes by way of a very belated follow-up to the message I sent out about copyright and author ownership of content in journals. I have only had time to read just a bit of this material but a summary to the list is owed. Thanks to everyone who responded. (I haven't summarized some interesting things that were sent as personal correspondence.)

Brian Simboli
Lehigh University

1. Items that were suggested :

An article that was suggested and that contains some fascinating history:
http://www.arl.org/arl/proceedings/138/guedon.html

Books:

S.H. Steinberg. Five hundred years of printing (1996).
King, McDonald, and Roderer. Scientific Journals in the United States:
Their Production, Use, and Economics.1981.

2. Here are some additional things that I came across (in some cases,
stumbled across) that might be of interest either in relation to this
question or just in general to scientific publishing aficionados.

See this link:
http://www.lboro.ac.uk/departments/ls/disresearch/romeo/RoMEO%20Studies%204.pdf

Ben Russak, "Scholarly Publishing in Western Europe and Great Britain: A Survey and Analysis". Annals, AAPSS, 421, Sept. 1975. The ending of this article is really amusing: "Long ago, Europe suffered a so-called Dark Age during which culture was sustained only by isolated monastic groups. The present attacks on copyright by new technologies and by scholars themselves must be viewed as a regrogressive step in that direction".

Mark Rose, Authors and Owners: The Invention of Copyright.

J.R. Schramm, a prof. of botany at University of Pennsylvania, on "Cost Analysis of Scholarly Periodical Printing: Preliminary Report of the Committee on Abstracting and Documentation of Scientific Literature of the National Research Council", which appeared in the American Philosophical Society Proceedings, volume 80, 1939.

Brian Simboli wrote:

Can anyone suggest a book or article that addresses the history of copyright in relation to scientific journals and the articles published in them? E.g., in the history of scientific journals, has it always been the case that authors have typically signed over copyright to a publisher? Also, how historically have publishers of scientific journals and authors understood ownership of the intellectual content of journal articles?

Big question, I realize!

Thanks
Brian Simboli
Science Librarian