RE: The value of a journal article

I'm only going to answer a few specific points, because in most things Jan
and I are in agreement:

1. Peer review is not the measure of journal quality. The level of the
peer review is the measure. A case can be made for the need of low quality
journals. Since the current academic system requires the teachers in even
junior college to publish, there has to be some place to put their
articles, requiring a sufficient quantity of journals that will accept
them after the most cursory peer review.  It is ironic that such journals
are purchased only by the most comprehensive libraries at the most
prestigious of institutions.

1a. I hope Jan is not one of those who equate peer review to pre-
publication peer review of journal articles, as managed by editors. That
is one way to do it, but no one has shown it is the best. Historically, it
is merely a carry-over from the paper era, when journals had limited
space.

2. None of this discussion has been about intrinsic value. Intrinsic value
is measured by the extent of the contribution to the progress of learning,
and the contribution of the knowledge to the well being of mankind. There
are ways of studying these historically, but not here and now.

3. Jan is correctly perceiving the true point to these discussions: The
question for Springer and all other publishers is whether libraries will
continue to value the green OA journals. There might be data with
predictive value, but it should be obvious that we will not be able to
identify which data that is until after the event.

4. The librarians are not the judges of scientific merit. They are
responsible only for providing, organizing, and preserving the research
articles and books, so that those qualified can judge them.

Dr. David Goodman
Associate Professor
Long Island University
dgoodman@liu.edu