Re: Open Letter about OA to the Royal Society by Fellows of the Royal Society

On Thu, 8 Dec 2005, Marc Brodsky wrote:

> I do not speak as one who is against OA. I am neutral and open to
> experiment and results.

I will now make the charitable assumption that Mark Brodsky does mean
exactly what he says, and is simply unaware of the contradictions inherent
in it. I will try to hold up a mirror, reflecting exactly what is latent
in his own words and their meanings, and where they actually lead, if made
fully explicit:

     "I am not against OA. I am open to experiment and results."

In physics, a 14-year experiment has already been conducted. Here are the
results:

(1) OA means free online access for all would-be users.
(2) Self-archiving provides OA.
(3) Physicists have self-archived spontaneously.
(4) Spontaneous self-archiving (OA) has reached 100% in some areas of
     physics.
(5) Repeated experimental comparisons of research impact (between OA and
     non-OA articles in the same journal issue) have revealed an OA citation
     advantage of 25%-250% or more, and a download advantage of c. 300%.
(6) APS and IOP report that no detectable decline in subscriptions has been
     associated with self-archiving.
(7) RCUK now proposes to apply these positive experimental results to
     articles that have *not* yet been self-archived spontaneously, in order
     to raise the percentage of OA to 100%

Mark says he is not against OA, and open to experiment and results: Then
why object to the RCUK experiment? Why delay it? And delay it for what?

> AIP has the same liberal pre-print and post-print posting policies as
> the APS ones positively referred to below.

It is commendable and welcome for publishers to offer an official green
light to go ahead with self-archiving ("authors may self-archive"): It is
less commendable if they object to being taken up on it, when RCUK
proposes to require the research it funds to "go" on green (i.e., "RCUK
fundees must self-archive"), exactly as the AIP liberally agrees they may.

(I also note in passing that spontaneous self-archiving in physics did not
wait for publishers to go green: Physicists went ahead and did the
experiment first; then, to their credit, APS and AIP and IOP -- and
eventually also Elsevier and Springer -- went green.)

> AIP has offered "author Select" OA options in three of its journals this
> year, plans to do so for more in the near future, and will offer fully
> OA journals soon as well. We are not biased one way or the other.

This too (optional "gold" OA publishing) is nothing but commendable, and
an excellent experiment; but what I cannot determine is whether Mark (and
many other publishers) are being deliberately obtuse or (on the charitable
assumption) have simply failed to understand that RCUK is not proposing to
require gold (OA publishing)! It is proposing to require green (OA
self-archiving). Hence the RCUK policy is not an experiment in requiring
an alternative publishing model that has not yet been tested and
demonstrated to work experimentally. (The RCUK policy has nothing to do
with gold or alternative publishing in any respect except that RCUK offers
some *optional* help in paying for the "author Select" option that AIP is
offering!)

What the RCUK is proposing to *require* (as opposed to merely offering to
fund as an option) is that its fundees self-archive: i.e. that they all do
it, in order to all enjoy the experimentally tested and demonstrated
benefits of self-archiving, not just those that happen to do it
spontaneously.

> AIP aims to disseminate info about physics to the widest possible
> audiences within the most affordable economic models.

This is all commendable, but not at issue at all, because the RCUK's
application of the experimental findings to date does not require AIP (or
any other publisher) to disseminate their contents any more widely than
they already do; nor to abandon their affordable economic models. RCUK
does not require publishers to do anything at all (how could it?). RCUK
requires its own *fundees* to self-archive (as AIP has so liberally given
them the green light to do), in order to derive the benefits of the
spontaneous self-archiving that have already been experimentally
demonstrated.

If there is an element of further experimentation in the RCUK policy,
rather than merely the application of existing experimental results, it is
the following:

(1) The RCUK is testing whether required self-archiving provides the same
usage and impact benefits that spontaneous self-archiving does. (I think
it is a very safe bet that it does, but let us test and see.)

(2) The RCUK is also testing whether the peaceful co-existence between
spontaneous self-archiving and journal subscription revenue that has been
experimentally demonstrated to date (even in fields that reached 100%
spontaneous self-archiving years ago) will continue to hold with required
self-archiving.

The outcome of (2) is not yet known, but let us consider the options:

(a) Peaceful co-existence between self-archiving and subscription revenues
continues after the RCUK policy is adopted, but only because the RCUK
percentage of journal output in every field is too small to make a
significant change in the spontaneous self-archiving effects for any given
journal. (This would be a very positive outcome of the experiment for UK
research, but not a decisive test of the effect of overall 100% OA
self-archiving.)

OR

(b) After a period of time, detectable declines in subscription revenue
occur that can be statistically associated with the RCUK self-archiving
requirement.

Pause for a question about experimental methodology: Is the possibility of
outcome (b) grounds for not performing the RCUK experiment in the first
place? (I think not.) Would outcome (b) be experimental grounds for
abandoning the RCUK policy (I again think not: publishing would have to
adapt to the outcome, rather than expecting research to renounce the
benefits.)

What is virtually certain, however, is that the outcome of the RCUK
experiment alone will not be catastrophic decline in subscription revenue,
necessitating a change in publishing cost-recovery model. The UK share of
journal content is almost certainly not big enough to have that effect.

That is the end of the plausible immediate outcomes of the RCUK
experiment.

But let us consider the possibilities even further: What if the RCUK
policy is adopted in other countries, because of its manifest benefits to
research. The following outcomes are then possible:

(c) Peaceful co-existence between self-archiving and subscription revenues
continues after the RCUK policy is adopted worldwide, and OA
self-archiving reaches 100%. (This too would be a happy outcome for all
concerned.)

OR

(d) After a period of time, as worldwide OA self-archiving approaches
100%, detectable declines in subscription revenue occur worldwide that can
be statistically associated with the worldwide growth of self-archiving
requirement.

Pause again for another question about experimental methodology: Is the
possibility of outcome (d) grounds for not performing the RCUK experiment
in the first place? (I think not.) Would outcome (d) be experimental
grounds for abandoning the RCUK policy or its worldwide emulation (I again
think not: wordlwide publishing would have to adapt to the outcome, rather
than expecting research to renounce the benefits.)

But now what about:

(e) After a period of time, as worldwide OA self-archiving approaches
100%, catastrophic declines in subscription revenue begin to occur
worldwide, necessitating either a change to the OA publishing model or an
abandonment of the self-archiving requirement.

Questions: Is the possibility of (e) grounds for not performing the RCUK
experiment in the first place? (I think not.) Would outcome (e) be
experimental grounds for abandoning the RCUK policy or its worldwide
emulation (I again think not: worldwide publishing would have to adapt to
the outcome, rather than expecting research to renounce the benefits.)

> If our authors, readers or subscribers indicate by real actions what
> they want, we will try our best to respond appropriately.

Is it clearer now why the above is a non-sequitur? The proposed RCUK
experiment, which its opponents are trying to defer conducting, pending
the outcome of other prior "experiments" (what experiments? experiments on
what?) has nothing whatsoever to do with what authors, readers or
subscribers currently want by way of journal economic models or OA
publishing, because what the RCUK experiment is applying is the results of
existing experiments demonstrating the positive effects of self-archiving
on research impact (i.e., what *researchers* want) and their absence of
any effect on subscription revenue. What RCUK is requiring is OA
self-archiving, not OA publishing.

> I was talking about the thoughtfulness of the various letters referred
> to. One seems to open to options and experiments, the other to a more
> pre-judged one.

Those who are arguing for delaying or deferring the RCUK experiment
pending the outcome of other "options and experiments" have not even
specified what "options and experiments" they have in mind, nor what they
would be testing, let alone specifying why we should not be applying and
extending the positive experimental results we already have, to the
benefit of research, researchers, their institutions, their funders, and
the tax-paying public that funds the funders and is meant to derive the
benefits of the experimental findings.

The Open Letter of the Royal Society Fellows is for opening the options
and experiments, and the Royal Society statement (undoubtedly drafted by
its publishing wing) is the one pre-judging the outcomes (and trying to
filibuster the conduct of the experiment, despite the uniformly positive
results to date).

Stevan Harnad