Re: Graphing the Bergstrom and McAfee Journal Pricing Data

A couple of things:

The reason I wanted to clarify the publisher issue is that if you are
going to say a certain publisher is, in essence, gouging librarians (which
seems to be the point of this exercise), then I think we should have the
names correct.  An "ad hominem" attack would be calling the researchers
fat, ugly, stupid, whatever.  I was merely saying that if there are flaws
in one part of their research, it calls into question other parts.  True
scholars should be able to handle this sort of question.

So here's another, even more important one:  the whole concept of "for
profit" and "not for profit" is entirely off.  They say my journal is for
profit--it is not.  I pointed this out to them; they did not correct it.
According to B&M, any journal published by one of the big houses is "for
profit."  This simply isn't true.  Many not-for-profit journals use big
houses to handle what they are not equipped to do:  manage subscriptions,
advertising sales, promotions, putting the journal online, printing,
mailing, etc.  This does not change their non-profit, society based
status.  But B&M don't make this distinction.  So all of the data is
skewed.

Now, you could argue that the big publishers proprietary journals are what
make the prices overall higher in those categories--I don't know.  I
haven't priced the proprietary journals, nor do I know their value to the
scholarly community.

This was one of my big problems with B&M's letter in the first place, and
what made me question their whole premise--they simply didn't seem to
understand how the publishing world worked.  So when I thought they also
got the names of the publishers wrong, too, I thought, "who are these
dodos?"  Now, there's an ad hominem attack.  I've just been holding back.

Lisa Dittrich
Managing Editor
Academic Medicine
2450 N Street NW
Washington,D.C. 20037
lrdittrich@aamc.org (e-mail)
202-828-0590 (phone)
202-828-4798 (fax)
Academic Medicine's Web site: www.academicmedicine.org

>>> Phil Davis <pmd8@cornell.edu> 12/01/05 1:34 PM >>>

While I respect the right of Lisa Dittrich and Morna Conway to argue about
ownership issues and whether LWW should be grouped under Springer-Kluwer
or separated out as a separate publisher group, I'm surprised that the
discussion over these graphs has not taken a more comprehensive and
comparative view.  It is hyperbolic to argue that these categorical
disputes amount to "big errors" or that it should weaken one's "confidence
in anything these guys are doing".  Let's not digress to ad hominem
attacks and focus on some obvious conclusions that can be derived from the
analysis and graphs.

1) a confirmation of large price differentials between profit and
for-profit publishers.  This shouldn't be surprising as this merely
confirms pricing studies over the last 25 years.

2) that some publishers (when adjusted for the number of articles they
publish, citations they receive, or subject field) are more costly than
others.

What is surprising to me (as a librarian), is that the data suggest that
certain commercial publishers who mainly focus on the social science and
humanities market appear to be more costly (on a relative basis) than the
usual STM suspects.

If we are to argue the summary statistics and graphs from the Bergstrom
and McAfee dataset, it would be more constructive to debate whether the
measures they employ are good indicators of "value", whether they are
still relevant in a world of big deals, or whether these data can be used
to make generalizations about certain publishers or certain fields.

--Phil Davis