Re: Graphing the Bergstrom and McAfee Journal Pricing Data

While I respect the right of Lisa Dittrich and Morna Conway to argue about ownership issues and whether LWW should be grouped under Springer-Kluwer or separated out as a separate publisher group, I'm surprised that the discussion over these graphs has not taken a more comprehensive and comparative view. It is hyperbolic to argue that these categorical disputes amount to "big errors" or that it should weaken one's "confidence in anything these guys are doing". Let's not digress to ad hominem attacks and focus on some obvious conclusions that can be derived from the analysis and graphs.

1) a confirmation of large price differentials between profit and for-profit publishers. This shouldn't be surprising as this merely confirms pricing studies over the last 25 years.

2) that some publishers (when adjusted for the number of articles they publish, citations they receive, or subject field) are more costly than others.

What is surprising to me (as a librarian), is that the data suggest that certain commercial publishers who mainly focus on the social science and humanities market appear to be more costly (on a relative basis) than the usual STM suspects.

If we are to argue the summary statistics and graphs from the Bergstrom and McAfee dataset, it would be more constructive to debate whether the measures they employ are good indicators of "value", whether they are still relevant in a world of big deals, or whether these data can be used to make generalizations about certain publishers or certain fields.

--Phil Davis