Re: Graphing the Bergstrom and McAfee Journal Pricing Data

There is certainly reason for confusion!  Wolters Kluwer owns LWW (as well
as OVID).  The following quote from the Springer website describes the
Springer-Kluwer Academic merger:

"In 1999, Bertelsmann AG acquired a majority share in the scientific
publishing company Springer-Verlag for its professional information
division, having previously bought up B.G. Teubner, which it brought into
the "marriage" with Springer, along with other well-known publishing
houses such as Gabler and Heinrich Vogel, to create BertelsmannSpringer.

In April 2003, Kluwer Academic Publishers and then the BertelsmannSpringer
Group were taken over by the British financial investors Cinven and
Candover. Soon afterwards, in October 2003, the company was renamed
Springer Science+Business Media."

It would be helpful if Philip Davis could clarify the Major Publishers
listing, as certainly Springer belongs in there, but so, one would
imagine, does Wolters Kluwer (or Lippincott Williams & Wilkins as an
entity under Wolters-Kluwer).

Morna H. Conway, Ph.D.
Journal Publishing Consultant
Office: (931) 684-5588