RE: Graphing the Bergstrom and McAfee Journal Pricing Data

What surprised me in the data, as analyzed by Phil's graphs, was the
extent of overlap between the nonprofit publishers and the for-profit
ones.

It would be interested to see whether this were due to particularly high
costs or particular low value between the major non-profit publishers,
just as the for-profit publishers differ from each other. Obviously, this
can be calculated from the posted data from Bergstrom and McAfee, but
before I begin such a tabulation, I ask if anyone else is doing it or
planning it?

Among the factors not included in Bergstrom & McAfee is analysis by number
of uses as well as by citations. In view of the analysis which Phil
previously reported of the wide variation in correctly comparing use
figures between publishers, this cannot be done yet. When it becomes
possible, we can continue the old debate about whether the downloads or
the citations are more important.

Having read the postings cited by Phil, I find them clear evidence that
the writers are unable to think of any significant objections to the data
and interpretation.

Dr. David Goodman
Associate Professor
Long Island University