Re: Graphing the Bergstrom and McAfee Journal Pricing Data

I'd like to clarify what I think is a big error in the Bergstrom and
McAfee data to begin with, which you should probably clarify for your
graphs:  they have somehow merged Springer-Verlag and LWW/Wolters Kluwer.
I can understand how this might happen, given all the varied mergers in
the world of publishing, but it again weakens my confidence in anything
these guys are doing.  Now, I clearly have been mixed up myself before,
but since our journal is published by LWW/Wolters Kluwer, I think I should
have at least PART of this right this time.

Lisa

P.S.  This is not to diminish the hard work you have clearly done to make
their data more user friendly!

Lisa Dittrich
Managing Editor
Academic Medicine
Washington,D.C. 20037
lrdittrich@aamc.org (e-mail)

>>> pmd8@cornell.edu 11/29/05 6:02 PM >>>

Using the pricing data made public recently byTed Berstrom and Preston
McAfee, I have produced several summary tables and graphs focusing on
comparing profit and non-profit publishers.  The six largest publishers
(Blackwell, Elsevier, Sage, Springer-Kluwer, Taylor & Francis and Wiley)
are highlighted for comparison.  This report does not advocate a
particular position, nor does it necessarily represent the position of the
author's employer or institution.

Report available from:
http://people.cornell.edu/pages/pmd8/prices.pdf

Philip Davis, Life Sciences Librarian
Mann Library, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853
(607) 255-7192 ;  (607) 255-0318 fax
pmd8@cornell.edu
http://people.cornell.edu/pages/pmd8/